[etherlab-dev] [Rtai] Ethercat vs RTAI-LXRT

Malte Lutz adkins42 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 13:06:16 CET 2011

Hello Paolo,

On 18.02.2011 12:33, Paolo Mantegazza wrote:
> Malte Lutz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i was wondering if it is possible to run hardrealtime in userspace
>> with RTAI-LXRT and ethercat?!
>>
>>  From the Ethercat Master Architecture it seems to me that, whenever
>> i use userspace tasks, only the standard ethernet driver would always
>> be used. Because of this and because of this link:
>> http://lists.etherlab.org/pipermail/etherlab-users/2010/000829.html
>> i would say ", except one would write some new driver.
>>
>> Can someone confirm me this?
>>

> I do not understand what "it is not possible to use ethercat from
> Userspace with LXRT" means. Does it mean that there is an Ethercat
> version that can be used from kernel space in real time under RTAI?
the latter one for sure. See ethercat_kernel.pdf (attached to this mail).

But if you take a look at Ethercat_Master_Architecture.pdf (also
attached), you see that it works different from userspace.

> In fact if there is an hard real time RTAI support in kernel space
> then there is a "de facto" same support in user space.
Could you explain this a LITTLE more detailed? (maybe with respect to
the graphic in Ethercat_Master_Architecture.pdf).

thx

Malte