[etherlab-dev] Support for multiple mailbox protocols

Jun Yuan j.yuan at rtleaders.com
Mon Jun 30 11:04:09 CEST 2014

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the reply. It's very helpful.

It sounds that,
1) The master can send max. only one mailbox request in one cycle.
2) Before a mailbox request is going to be sent, the master should check
the SM0 register 0x800 whether the send mailbox is full or empty, and send
the request only if it is empty.
3) Mailbox service with different protocol can be executed in parallel.
That is, the master can send a new mailbox request, while the last
conversation in another protocol is not finished yet, given that the send
mailbox is already cleared.
4) We're not sure if all the slave can support multiple CoE conversations
in parallel. So the master should start a new CoE conversation only when
the last one is finished. The same applies to SoE/FoE/VoE.

While reading the documentation and another open source ethercat project
SOEM, I found there is a mailbox service "counter" besides the service type
in the mailbox header. It says, "Counter of the mailbox services (0 ist
start value, next value after 7 is 1)". I wonder if what this counter is
used for, how is it implemented in your slave example code, whether it
could be useful for us in the multiple conversation situation.

Regards,
Jun

--
Jun Yuan
[Aussprache: Djün Üän]

Robotics Technology Leaders GmbH
Am Loferfeld 58, D-81249 München
Tel: +49 89 189 0465 24
Fax: +49 89 189 0465 11
mailto: j.yuan at rtleaders.com

Umlautregel in der chinesischen Lautschrift Pinyin: Nach den Anlauten y, j,
q, und x wird u als ü ausgesprochen, z.B. yu => ü,  ju => dschü,  qu =>
tschü,  xu => schü.