[etherlab-dev] Announcement: Userspace EtherCAT master

Frank Heckenbach f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de
Mon Mar 16 20:12:31 CET 2015

Hello Ricardo,

> Thank you very much for you contribution. Once I am less busy at work
> I would like to repack it to openembedded (which should be really easy
> due to the way you have packed it). I hope it is ok with you.

Yes, sure.

> For our system it makes much more sense a user space library, because
> we don't have any hard requirement to met.

Glad to hear so.

I think for such kinds of applications, EtherCAT is just another
network protocol, and needing a kernel module is really overkill.

Fortunately, the kernel dependencies of the original code weren't
very strong, otherwise I couldn't have done the port in the time
I had available. Most of the code, especially the tricky protocol
logic, is rather generic C code.

> I hope that at some point
> this is merged with the main project.

I'd hope so too, but from what I've (not) seen so far, it seems
unlikely to me.

Regards,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Math. Frank Heckenbach <f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de>
Stubenlohstr. 6, 91052 Erlangen, Germany, +49-9131-21359