[etherlab-dev] Beckhoff AX5000 SoE drive: The PDI has no access rights to the ESC eeprom.

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Mon Jul 13 01:14:11 CEST 2015

On 11 July 2015 12:38, quoth Nuno Gonçalves:
> I'm running etherlab master default branch and it is making the Beckhoff
> AX5000 SoE drive unhappy.
>
> When changing state to PREOP the drive complains with the following error:
>
> External Periphery - Control card: Reading the ESC-eeprom failed: The PDI
> has no access rights to the ESC eeprom.
>
> This happens before any IDN and DC configuration are due (transition to
> SAFEOP).
>
> Trusting the error message, what kind of ESC-eeprom reading are we
> requesting on the transition to PREOP that can be causing this issue?
>
> I can try to Wireshark this and TwinCAT initialization to compare both,
and
> see if I can spot the issue, but I don't think that will work very
easily...

It's not Etherlab trying to read the EEPROM, it's the slave itself trying
to.  ("PDI" is the slave's interface to its own ESC.)

By default, Etherlab reserves SII (EEPROM) access to ECAT only; the PDI can
only access its EEPROM before it brings the ESC out of reset.

Try passing "--enable-sii-assign" to configure; this tells Etherlab to grant
the PDI access to its EEPROM at specific times, including during PREOP.

At the moment the implementation of this is not standards-compliant, but it
should hopefully be sufficient for most cases; so it should resolve your
issue.