[etherlab-dev] Possible Realtime Issues with Ethercat Master and RT Preempt Kernel

Armin Steinhoff armin at steinhoff.de
Mon Feb 1 11:14:30 CET 2016

Hi Dr. Schöpfer,

please have a look to the test rack at the OASDL homepage and you will
see that the same release of PREEMPT_RT is performing very different on
different motherboards.

IMHO ... the most important issue is the SMI interrupt and the triggered
execution of the low level firmware of the motherboard.
Also a transaction on the PCI bus using DMA transfers can increase the
response time on a single core ...

Best Regards

Armin

http://www.steinhoff-automation.com