[etherlab-dev] Community contribution

Florian Pose fp at igh.de
Mon Mar 5 10:18:27 CET 2018

Hello all,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 10:58:54AM +0100, Esben Haabendal wrote:
> > Do main contributors (Florian Pose, Philipp Weyer, Gavin ...) have an
> > opinion on that ?
>
> I really hope they do, and hope they will participate in the discussion
> here.

sure we have. ;-)

The goal must be to maintain one source that as-many-as-possible users
can live with. I understand that the current situation (with different
versions of patchsets) is not satisfactory.

From the IgH point-of-view we have the stable-1.5 branch that we see as
matured software and that we use heavily in our everyday projects. This
branch nearly contains everything *we* need (except for some native
drivers that are more up-to-date).

The other side is (and this is what was the goal from beginning) that
the master (and moreover all other software within the EtherLab project)
should be useful for others, which is certainly is, but one can see from
the discussions and the patches, that it does not fit everyone's needs.

The reason that I do not just pull the whole patchset in the default
branch (for example) is that I'm not hundred percent convinced of every
single patch (or at least I do not understand why it is necessary),
others I don't like because they break compatibility.

There is an idea in my mind that came up some time ago, and I think it
would make sense right now: What do you guys think about some kind of
EtherCAT conference? We should bring developers (physically) together
taking two or three days of time to discuss patches and opinions, make
plans for the future and work on integrating the patches. I'm thinking
of a group of a handful developers (maybe Gavin, Graeme, Esben, ... )
that are deeply involved.

Naturally I would propose the IgH headquarters in Essen, Germany to be
the location. I don't know how hard it is for you to get here, or it is
even possible. What I could also imagine, is some people here and some
by video conference, but I like the thought of meeting physically.

What do you think about it?

Florian

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Florian Pose
fp at igh.de
Tel.: +49 201 / 36014-13

Ingenieurgemeinschaft IgH
Gesellschaft für Ingenieurleistungen mbH
Heinz-Bäcker-Str. 34
D-45356 Essen

Amtsgericht Essen HRB 11500
USt-Id.-Nr.: DE 174 626 722
Geschäftsführung:
- Dr.-Ing. T. Finke,
- Dr.-Ing. W. Hagemeister
Tel.: +49 201 / 360-14-0
http://www.igh.de

GnuPG key: CCA047CC 2007-12-18 [expires: 2022-01-31]
Fingerprint: 0081 4005 FE9F 73FF 4BDA  A409 0011 4E20 CCA0 47CC