[etherlab-dev] Alias Addressing

Gavin Lambert gavin.lambert at tomra.com
Mon Jun 11 03:04:52 CEST 2018

Note that this sort of question belongs on the users list, not the dev list.

When you are commissioning a particular network, you first run "ethercat slaves" to view the list of existing slaves on the network.  This will show both their position-based address and their alias-based address.

You can optionally run "ethercat alias" with additional parameters to specify a specific slave (usually using -p alone, but optionally with some combination of -a and -p if you want to reassign the alias of a slave, or use an existing alias as a base position).  This will set the alias of the specified slave, allowing it to be used in alias-based addressing later.

See "ethercat slaves --help" and "ethercat alias --help" for more information.

Giving slaves an alias is optional, but it can be useful where you have a non-linear network or if devices can be reordered without recommissioning.  Either way your application needs to use matching addressing.