[etherlab-dev] New EtherLab Patch for External Mode Support

Moritz Schappler moritz.schappler at imes.uni-hannover.de
Mon Apr 6 10:21:26 CEST 2020

Dear EtherLab community,

I would like to inform you about a new patch of the etherlab-code that I
just uploaded on GitHub:
https://github.com/SchapplM/etherlab-code-extmodepatch

The patch presents a simplified version of EtherLab using the external
mode of Matlab/Simulink. Brief summary:
>     This is a patched version of EtherLab with the purpose of a vast simplifi-
>     cation of the code and using the external mode in Simulink without losing
>     real-time capabilities. The performed changes are:
>     - remove syslog
>     - remove pdserv
>     - remove multitasking
>     - remove arguments
>     - adjusted overrun notification
>     - add external mode and change thread-concept
>         - main is running as a low-priority-thread
>             - executes time-consuming, undeterministic extmode functions
>         - simulink model runs in single-tasking-mode in an RT-priority thread
>     The advantage is a simplified control and iteration of a Simulink model,
>     since no additional PdServ application has to be created.
The code was created by Lucas Jürgens in his Bachelor's Thesis at the
Institute for Automatic Control at the Leibniz University of Hannover,
Germany.

If you have any comments on the patch I would be happy to discuss them
with you.
I am especially interested if you think this is a useful extension or if
there are major issues in the principle, since we also use the code in
some realtime control testbeds.

Best regards,

Moritz Schappler

M. Sc. Moritz Schappler
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter und Gruppenleiter
Robotik & autonome Systeme

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universität Hannover
Institut für Mechatronische Systeme
An der Universität 1, Gebäude 8142 (Etage 1, Raum 108)
30823 Garbsen

Fon: +49 (0)511 762-4116
Fax: +49 (0)511 762-19976