[etherlab-users] Slave register access

William Montgomery william at opinicus.com
Wed Nov 5 15:11:18 CET 2008

Florian Pose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 07:51:20AM -0500, William Montgomery wrote:
>
>> I have been using the mini example for a couple of weeks and recently
>> changed to the RTAI example since this is the target environment.  I now
>> have the rtai example running and am able to read and write process data
>> with a slave.  I have looked through the application interface
>> documentation and am not able to see how to access the slave controller
>> registers.  Do you have an example of this?
>>

> this is not implemented for the application interface, because this is
> usually not necessary. Can you explain, why you want to do this via the
> API?

I am a newbie with respect to ethercat so I am not sure of the best way
to do this.  I would like to create a sync pulse on the slave for each
write to the slave.  I have found that I can write to a register on the
slave controller to cause this pulse.  I can modify the eeprom on the
slave to add another sync manager and pdo for this but was unsure if I
should use mailbox or buffer method to access the registers.  After
further reading, I thought that the whole PDO/sync mgr approach might
not be necessary and that I could bypass that mechanism with a more
direct method.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Wm