[etherlab-users] Licencing EtherCAT Master

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Thu Oct 23 09:18:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:14:16PM +0200, Erwin Burgstaller wrote:
> * Tue, Oct 21, 2008 - 08:09:54 +0200, Andy Rohr - andy.rohr at mindclue.ch:
> > Beckhoff for using EtherCAT technology is incompatible with the GPLv2
> > (under which kernel modules have to be licenced).
>
> Could you explain, why do they have to?

They need not be GPL licensed, you're right. But there will be no
discussion about the GPL anyway. We will definitely not re-license the
master code to some proprietary stuff. The GPL was one of the reasons
for beginning the whole master development. Why should we frivolously
throw that overboard?

> I'm not into that license stuff, but loading a module with another
> license then GPL just marks the the kernel as tainted. Which is
> something I could live with. ;-)

You won't have to. ;-)

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org