[etherlab-users] problems making etherlab (+ other issues)

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Wed Jul 15 09:03:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:59:05PM -0700, dclark at mmto.org wrote:
> I succeeded in installing rtai-3.7.1 earlier (before ethercat) and
> ethercat version returns:
>
> IgH EtherCAT master devel r1590
>
> since I found in the forum that -r1590 has the e100 driver in it for my
> kernel version, which uname -a:
> Linux bergenwald 2.6.24.7-rtai #1 SMP Fri Jul 10 14:14:52 MST 2009 i686
> GNU/Linux
> I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) with a GNOME 2.22.3 desktop.
>
> I note that the 1.6 bundle has no ethercat configure support for e100
> (removed?) as far as I can tell

not removed, but never been there, because the bundle still contains the
stable 1.4.0 version.

> and I got the same make error with the
> etherlab-1.2-rc4 version contained within it. I also found that
> #!/usr/bin/bash was necessary to get the ethercat command line tool to
> work (this really should have been better documented).

Do you speak of the init script (/etc/init.d/ethercat) or the
command-line tool /opt/etherlab/bin/ethercat? None of them contains
references to the bash. The last bashisms were removed in revision 1600,
before releasing 1.4.0. Where exactly do you see bash calls?

> The ethercat command line tool also hangs the system when attempting to
> execute ./ethercat stop or ./ethercat restart. Any insight on this? I can
> start it and do all the other usual things, e.g. ./ethercat slaves...

This seems to be still an issue of the e100 driver. I have a system here
that behaves the same way. I'll analyze it and try to fix this.

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org