[etherlab-users] problem in using new BeckHoff encoder EL5101

Jason Xu jason at motiondesign.co.nz
Fri Jul 17 06:40:32 CEST 2009

Hi Florian:

> > I've found EL5101 modules with the following serial numbers have this
> > problem:
> >
> > Serial number: 27091510
> > Serial number: 20091510
>
> Ok, these are quite new. It seems to be a bug in the slave
> implementation. Just to be sure, please cross-check it with the newest
> master version available.
>
> http://etherlab.org/download/ethercat/ethercat-devel-r1812.tar.bz2
>
> If it shows the same behaviour, please tell Beckhoff about this.

Tried. It shows the similar behavior by using ethercat master (
ethercat-devel-r1817.tar.bz2<http://etherlab.org/download/ethercat/ethercat-devel-r1812.tar.bz2>
).

> BTW, you should probably be able to configure the slave with the 'old'
> PDO configuration from the former slave versions. The master will
> complain, because the PDO configuration will fail, but the process data
> should be exchanged. Have a try.

Also tried, No luck.

However, we do find out these new EL5101 modules working with TwinCat
software installed on Windows PC. And in TwinCat software, we can see the
PDO data are correct. (such as RxPDO entry index 0x7000, subindex 1,
bit-length 16, TxPDO entry index 0x6000, subindex 2, bit-length 16, etc). It
seems there is no special patch required to make TwinCat reading these
modules. Don't know why. Also, there is an XML file in one of the TwinCat
directories that contains many versions of EL5101s and none of them looks
like the output we get from "ethercat xml -p1" for example.

> > -bash-3.2# ethercat up -p1 -tuint8 0x1600 0
> > 2 0x02
> > -bash-3.2# ethercat up -p1 -tuint32 0x1600 1
> > 17301504 0x01080000
> > -bash-3.2# ethercat up -p1 -tuint32 0x1600 2
> > 34631680 0x02107000

One thing I realized that if Beckhoff makes the two data 0x7000 and 0x0210
in a wrong order?

We are currently trying to contact Beckhoff through our local supplier. So
far, we have not heard anything yet. It seems difficult to actually
communicate directly with someone as we do not have a contact there. We were
wondering if you know of anyone at Beckhoff that can help us, or maybe you
could contact them on behalf of us?

We have committed our products to use a range of Beckhoff modules, but these
EL5101s are really holding us up. We would appreciate any advice you can
offer. Thanks.

Jason