[etherlab-users] What are PDO index and subindex ?

Nesmis nesmis.smith at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 10:26:41 CET 2009

Hello all,

I'm trying to use ethercat master driver and its library for a
custum-built ethercat slave device, but things don't go easily
because of the lack of knowledge. So, if someone could help
me, it would be great!

I'm trying to write an user-space application by modifying an
sample program(examples/user/main.c), so that it works with my
slave board.

However, as I don't understand what "index" and "subindex" are
in "ec_pdo_entry_info_t" structure. I cannot setup the
"ec_pdo_entry_info_t" data. How can I get "index" and "subindex"
from my slave board?
And another question is, are these indices from CAN Open specification?

Since I didn't have any idea how to get these information, I used
"ethercat" command tool with "reg_write" option to directly write
parameters(SyncManager, FMMU settings, etc) to ESC registers.
Then, I tried to write "0x08" to ALControl (0x120) to change AL status
from PREOP to OP, but the ethercat driver said something like
"slave not configured!".

How can I configure ethercat slaves without setting up "ec_pdo_entry_info_t"
and calling "ecrt_slave_confgi_pdos()"?
Is it possible in the first place?

Thanks in advance,

nes.