[etherlab-users] Import Configuration from ENI file

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Fri Feb 5 09:30:33 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:45:57PM +0100, Alex Monti wrote:
> About me: I'm a student of electronic engineering new to the
> EtherCat/Etherlab world and not a long time user of RTAI. I have decent
> Linux experience however.
> I'm trying to create a program in C language that extracts information from ENI file and use them to configure your IgH EtherCAT Master for Linux.
> In your opinion is it possible?

Basically, it is, but it will be difficult. The EtherLab master uses a
different approach for the configuration. The ENI file contains explicit
commands to send a slave between two application-layer states, so the
master can be really stupid. The EtherLab master calculates most of the
commands by itself, so you would have to extract the information from
the ENI and "guess" the appropriate function calls for the master API.
It is possible indeed, but you won't be able to map any command from the
ENI file to the master API.

A better approach would be to implement native ENI support for the
master. But why do you want to use an ENI file anyway?

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org