[etherlab-users] EtherCAT master mini example

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Fri Feb 5 09:35:29 CET 2010

Hi again,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 05:34:05PM +0100, Mladen Knezic wrote:
> What is the difference between mini.c and rtai_sample.c examples in EtherCAT
> Master source? Does this mean that the first application example is not
> executed in real-time, and the second is executed in real-time (through rtai
> real-time extension)?

Yes. The mini module is driven by a simple kernel timer, that is *not*
executed in realtime.

> And last question: what if EtherCAT Master is installed without --with-rtai-
> dir option (I cannot see what is default for this option from Documentation)?
> Does this mean that applications cannot be run in real-time (with rtai)?

It has no default. If the --rtai-dir is unset, the RTAI example isn't
built. This option is only used for this example, the master itself does
not depend on RTAI or other realtime extensions. It can be executed in
any context.

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org