[etherlab-users] Corrupt mailbox response

Henry Bausley hbausley at deltatau.com
Mon Nov 29 17:18:07 CET 2010

This drive initially drove me crazy too.

1.) You should obtain Firmware Version 3.01 from Yaskawa where they
appear to have improved the SII EEPROM interface.   If you have anything
earlier you may be wasting your time.  I got nowhere until I received a
drive with this firmware from my Yaskawa USA office.

When I told Yaskawa there was a problem the initial response from their
developers was the device passed the EtherCAT conformance test and it
works with TwinCAT.  However, what they don't seem to recognize is that
the EtherCAT conformance test does not test everything  for
specification compliance and that there still may be something wrong
with their device.  Fortunately the newer firmware seemed to fix the
EEPROM size error I was receiving.

2.) In addition to getting newer firmware you must declare a domain for
the Output and a second one for the Input
since Yaskawa sets notLRW = yes.

3.) Moreover, the Output Domain must be registered with
ecrt_domain_reg_pdo_entry_list before the Input Domain otherwise you
will not have any data exchanged even though the drive goes into OP
mode.
http://lists.etherlab.org/pipermail/etherlab-users/2010/001000.html    I
am not sure if this is Yaskawa's  bug or something
in the Hilscher module they are using. The same issue occurred  in a
Control Techniques module I tested.

I received from Yaskawa via Hilscher that SyncManager2 -> Output ->
FMMU0 and SycnManager3 -> Input -> FMMU1
and  this is made with the ETG concerted and an integral part of the
ESI.
According to Florian Pose it is arbitrary that Outputs are always mapped
to FMMU0 and inputs are mapped to FMMU1.

Maybe if IGH informs ETG of typical problems like the EEPROM size error and the arbitrary FMMU usage ETG will add them to the
conformance tool and we will have less interoperability errors as new slaves arrive in the future.