[etherlab-users] Device Node Creation

Oliver.Haala at semikron.com Oliver.Haala at semikron.com
Thu Sep 23 16:33:45 CEST 2010

Hello,

Recently I have installed the EtherCat 1.5 Master. Now I am trying to
create a
device node according to the documentation. Unfortunately some problem
occurs.
After boot you can observe the following communication:

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # /etc/init.d/ethercat start
Starting EtherCAT master devel FATAL: Error inserting ec_master
(/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/ethercat/master/ec_master.ko):
Invalid argument

                                                        failed

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/
ethercat/master/ec_master.ko

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # /etc/init.d/ethercat start
Starting EtherCAT master devel
                                     done

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # KERNEL=="EtherCAT[0-9]*",
MODE="0664"

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # /etc/init.d/ethercat restart
Shutting down EtherCAT master devel
                                done

Starting EtherCAT master devel FATAL: Error inserting ec_master
(/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/ethercat/master/ec_master.ko):
Invalid argument

                                                        failed

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/
ethercat/master/ec_master.ko

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # /etc/init.d/ethercat start
Starting EtherCAT master devel
                                    done

primergy-llw1:/etc/sysconfig/scripts # ls -l /dev/EtherCAT0
ls: Zugriff auf /dev/EtherCAT0 nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nicht gefunden

I have had a look at the /etc/udev/rules.d/99EtherCAT.rules file. Looks
quite good:
KERNEL=="EtherCAT[0-9]*", MODE="0664"
(udev installed)

Any idea why there is no device node created?

Another Question:
The software you provide is actual made for real-time applications.
Which parts of
the software (ELab, ECos, DLS) are working (or not working) with a
generic
driver(EC-Master)?

Regards
Oliver

IMPORTANT NOTICE - The contents of this email and attachments are
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use,
copy, distribute or rely on this email and should please return it
immediately or notify us by telephone. While we take every reasonable
precaution to screen out computer viruses from emails, attachments to
this email may contain such viruses. We cannot accept liability for loss
or damage resulting from such viruses.  The integrity of email across
the Internet cannot be guaranteed and SEMIKRON will not accept liability
for any claims arising as a result of the use of this medium for
transmissions by or to SEMIKRON.