[etherlab-users] [PATNI] Regarding DC Synchronisation

Andreas Stewering-Bone ab at igh-essen.com
Thu May 19 09:16:20 CEST 2011

Hello Yogesh,

you have to notice following steps:

- If you want to do DC, you have to use a RT-kernel and a
RT-application, because jitter on the base system can be a sync problem.

- Do not use NTP on the system, use CLOCK_MONOTONIC or
CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW if accessible to get a stable clocksource.

- Get system time just before you set the application time, to get the
correct time.

- Sync slaves every transmit cycle.

- Rise up the cycle freq, the DC syncs better if you have faster
transmit cycles

- your  second question: see doc under page 27- >  watch -n0 "ethercat
reg read -p4 -tsm32 0x92c"

Best regards

Andreas

Am 19.05.2011 08:59, schrieb Dhake, Yogesh:

> Hi,
>
> EtherCAT master performs DC synchronization as below:
>
> 1) Initially EtherCAT master calculates Propagation delay time between
> slaves.
>
> 2) Time Delay calculated (actual frame send from Master state machine
> - application start time) and deducted from System Time read from
> slave. New Offset time (new offset = old offset from slave + time
> difference between Master Application Start Time and Slave System
> Time) is send to slaves.
>
> 3) After this, Master sends synchronization datagram (with command
> FRMW-First READ MULTIPLE WRITE) to reference clock slave as well as to
> other EtherCAT slaves on network.
>
> 4) FRMW command reads reference clock slave system time (lower 32 bit)
> (0x0910 to 0x0927) and writes to lower 32 bit of other EtherCAT slave
> system time register (0x0910 to 0x0927).
>
> 5) Activity number 2 to 4 happens at every 10ms in user application.
>
> 6) Our observation is difference between master time and slave system
> time is around 16-20 seconds after step 2.
>
> 7) Slave System Time is not accessible to us for checking whether
> Slave System Time synchronized with Master Application Time.
>
> Our query is:
>
> 1. How can we reduce difference between Master Application Time and
> Slave System Time in step 2?
>
> 2. How to check System Time register of BECKHOFF slave after step 4?
>
> Please let us know your valuable inputs regarding synchronization of
> Distributed clocks of EtherCAT slaves.
>
> Please find attached DC synchronization process. Rename file to .png type.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yogesh

> Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential
> and proprietary to iGATE Patni and its affiliates and is intended for
> use only by the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
> use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you are requested to
> delete this e-mail immediately and notify the originator or
> netadmin at igatepatni.com. iGATE Patni does not enter into any agreement
> with any party by e-mail. Any views expressed by an individual do not
> necessarily reflect the view of iGATE Patni. iGATE Patni is not
> responsible for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of
> information provided, through this email. The contents of an
> attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could
> damage your own computer system. While iGATE Patni has taken every
> reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept
> liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software
> viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening an
> attachment. To know more about iGATE Patni please visit
> www.igatepatni.com.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Andreas Stewering-Bone

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Stewering-Bone
andreas.stewering-bone at igh-essen.com
Tel.: +49 201 / 36014-15

Ingenieurgemeinschaft IgH
Gesellschaft für Ingenieurleistungen mbH
Heinz-Bäcker-Str. 34
D-45356 Essen
Amtsgericht Essen HRB 11500
USt-Id.-Nr.: DE 174 626 722