[etherlab-users] Problems with Setting up the System

+BigNose bignose at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 12 09:36:52 CET 2011


I tried to install the ethercat drivers as in the pdf manual. I
encountered the following problems:

* First it didn't work at all. Probabely the problem was, that I
compiled the kernel with integrated 8139too driver. When I recompiled
the Kernel, but this time with the driver in module form. It worked
better. Is this really like that, that it only works, if the original
8139too drivers are not compiled into the kernel? If yes, It should
really be mentioned in the PDF!

*Second problem. I then was able to start the "ethercat start" script
in init.d. But on my system, this script only loads the ec_master
module. I additionally have to do a "modprobe ec_8139too" to load the
net drivers, which then starts the master, and my connected test slave
(Beckhoff EK1100+EL1008+EL2008) starts to blink. And I get the message
that 3 slaves are found and that they are in init state. But in the
PDF is says, they should be in PreOp state and there should be a bus
scan. But this doesn't happen.
Also the /dev/EtherCAT0 entry doesn't show up in the /dev directory.
Therefore all tries to find out about the state with the ethercat tool
is simply aborted with the error message, that /dev/EtherCAT0 is
I also tried the additional udev rule file, like mentioned in the PDF.
It didn't work. Then I tried to manually create an /dev/EtherCAT0 with mknod
(252,0). But it still doesn't work.

What could be the problem? And how can I resolve it?

Would be really grateful for any hint.


This is the output after a "/etc/init.d/ethercat start":

[   10.351303] EtherCAT: Master driver devel unknown
[   10.353821] EtherCAT: 1 master waiting for devices.

And this after a "modprobe ec_8139too":

[   10.396659] ec_8139too EtherCAT-capable Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.28, master devel unknown
[   10.402873] EtherCAT: Accepting device 00:18:7D:02:AD:CE for master 0.
[   10.408646] ec0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf600, 00:18:7d:02:ad:ce, IRQ 5
[   10.411143] ec0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
[   10.411224] EtherCAT 0: Link state changed to UP.
[   10.413647] EtherCAT 0: Starting EtherCAT-IDLE thread.
[   10.421289] eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf800, 00:18:7d:02:ad:cd, IRQ 10
[   10.423397] EtherCAT 0: 3 slave(s) responding.
[   10.428669] EtherCAT 0: Slave states: INIT.
[   10.430463] eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
[   10.443372] eth0: link down

And this is the error message I get, when I try to use the ethercat
tool e.g. "ethercat config":

Failed to obtain number of masters: Failed to open master device /dev/EtherCAT0: Invalid argument

I got a vanilla linux with rtai 3.7.1.
I downloaded the newest etherlab sources for compile.


Nothing is as serious as it seems,
so keep smiling ;-)
                          mailto:bignose at bluewin.ch

More information about the Etherlab-users mailing list