[etherlab-users] install on non-PC

Jeff Krasky jeff.krasky at dspcg.com
Mon Nov 21 21:44:50 CET 2011

Helpful post that I am following:

> Here's how I recently cross built on x86 Ubuntu 10.04LTS for an ARM
> system with kernel sources and toolchain provided my the chip vendor:
>
> On host:
>
> TARG_KERNEL is path to kernel sources for target system
> TARG_FS is path to filesystem of target system
>
> In Etherlab source dir:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$TARG_FS/opt --with-linux-dir=$TARG_KERNEL \
>             --enable-generic --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-  # ARCH and
> CROSS_COMPILE redundant here?

I think the ./configure worked and now I believe the "make ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi-" worked as well (I didn't
notice any error messages).

So do I want to run "make install" as root on the Linux PC?  Will that be
the final step in building EtherCAT into the arm kernel that the Linux PC
currently builds?  Then just transfer the kernel and filesystem to the
target board?

Thanks,

Jeff