[etherlab-users] How to prevent module unloading when starting the ethercat service on a diskless computer ?

Sebastien Blanchet blanchet at iram.fr
Fri Oct 28 19:03:28 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have just bought a EtherLab smart kit to evaluate EtherCAT, and now I would
like to run EtherCAT master on a Linux diskless computer.
But I have a problem when I start the ethercat service: the service unloads the
linux driver that is required for diskless operations, and then obviously the
computer hangs, because it cannot access to its NFS root filesystem.

This is my question:
Is it possible to run simultaneously e100 and ec_100, each of them on a
different Ethernet controller ?
How to do it ?

More details about my configuration:
The diskless computer is a VMIVME-7700. It is a VME single board computer with
two Ethernet controllers intel e100.
The computer boots with PXE. It downloads the linux kernel and the initrd with TFTP.
The computer accesses to its NFS root filesystem through eth0 (module e100)
and I would like to run the ethercat master driver (module ec_e100) on eth1.
I run EtherLab stable-1.5 on Linux Debian 6.0/i386 with a linux kernel 2.6.32.11
+ RTAI 3.8.1

Should I try to built statically the e100 linux driver in the kernel ?
Should I try to boot the computer with the ec_e100 driver ?

Thank you very much for your help.
--
Sebastien BLANCHET