[etherlab-users] RTAI + e1000e?

Dr.-Ing. Wilhelm Hagemeister hm at igh-essen.com
Wed Sep 21 21:33:18 CEST 2011

Hello Jordi,

is seems that Intel NIC's are optimized for performance and bandwith but
not for realtime behavior (which is not really necessary normally). We
experienced that some combinations of kernel version, EtherCat Master
version and NIC don't work properly. Also we see latency issues. I can't
really describe what the problem is. Mostly it happens like, people are
reporting frame losses or problems with synchronization with Intel-NIC's
and problems go away when they change on the same system to a Realtek
chipset.

Anyway we also have systems running well with e100, e1000 and e1000e so
that does not mean you should not try it....

With kind regards

Wilhelm.