[etherlab-users] Using EtherCAT EoE and Build Errors

Matthieu Bec mbec at gmto.org
Wed Aug 15 17:26:05 CEST 2012

note that's using the master stack only.

I don't use the EtherLAB suite. There could be an issue if it requests
the master and its internal loop doesn't "send_ext". Actually
ecrt_master_send_ext isn't exported by cdev so that could indeed be a
problem.
Can you try starting the master only?

On 08/15/12 07:48, Matthieu Bec wrote:
> I have an EL6614, besides starting the master (stable-1.5), configuring
> the network interface and bringing it up, nothing else is needed to get
> EOE connectivity.
>

> On 08/14/12 15:15, Thomas Bitsky, Jr. wrote:
>> Ok, so I made some progress, I think. I was able to build as a kernel
>> module and install the module. So long as the virtual interface (eoe0s7)
>> is not up, the program brings the network into Operation and scans at
>> 100Hz.
>>
>> Then, I issue # ifconfig eoe0s7 up
>>
>> About 20 seconds later, the entire system hangs and I need to reboot.
>>
>> In the kernel log, I am seeing this: BUG: scheduling while atomic:
>> swapper/0/0x10000100
>>
>> My understanding is that occurred when using semaphores when spinlocks
>> should have been used in the master callbacks. I changed over the
>> program to spin locks, but the same thing occurred.
>>
>> I'm not sure what I could try other than falling back to 1.4.0 and
>> seeing if I'm just running into a stable-1.5 bug. I'm following the tty
>> examples in the directory very closely. Beyond changing the hardware
>> declarations to match the network, it's the same program.
>>
>> Does anyone have an EoE example they could share?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Matthieu Bec <mbec at gmto.org
>> <mailto:mbec at gmto.org>> wrote:
>>

>>     Hello Thomas,
>>
>>     it might be a simple network config problem: the IP address of your
>>     virtual interface shouldn't be the same as your field device. Try
>>     assigning it something different on the same subnet, e.g.
>>     192.168.127.1/8 <http://192.168.127.1/8> and check your routing
>>     table is correct
>>
>>     Regards
>>
>>     On 08/13/12 22:21, Thomas Bitsky, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>         Hello! I'm new to using EtherLAB. I've got the master
>> installed as a
>>         service, and it's communicating to the network fine. However,
>>         I'm having
>>         trouble getting the EoE feature up and running.
>>
>>         I have an Ethernet device in the field with the IP Address
>>         192.168.127.254 that I need to communicate with through a web
>>         browser. I
>>         have an EL6601 that the master is able to see fine. When I put
>> the
>>         network into Operation, the RUN light goes steady.
>>
>>         I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04. I have not installed any real-time
>>         extensions; I'm just working with EtherLAB right now.
>>
>>         If I execute:
>>         # ethercat eoe
>>
>>         I get a listing for eoe0s7 as a virtual interface, and that it
>>         is down.
>>

>>         So, I created in /etc/network the file ifcg-eoe0s7 with the
>>         following
>>         contents:
>>
>>         IPADDRESS=192.168.127.254/8 <http://192.168.127.254/8>
>>         <http://192.168.127.254/8>
>>         STARTMODE=auto
>>
>>         I restarted the computer.
>>
>>         To raise the interface, I enter:

> [...]

Matthieu Bec                GMTO Corp.
cell:  +1 626 354 9367      P.O. Box 90933
phone: +1 626 204 0527      Pasadena, CA 91109-0933