[etherlab-users] EtherCAT eeprom and EtherLab master driver

Graeme Foot GraemeF at touchcut.com
Tue Jul 10 06:43:27 CEST 2012

Hi Don,

I don't have too much experience on this side, but yes, my understanding
is that the .bin file you are trying to download to the drive is the
same information that the drive should return.  (see:
http://www.etherlab.org/en/ethercat/faq.php)

I had a problem with an early firmware revision of the Yaskawa amp where
it too had bad SII information and would not accept a download (all
fixed in current firmware revisions).

To work around this I patched the EtherCAT master so that it would read
the SII information from my own file rather than downloading it from the
slave.

The original patch I used was from Jesper Smith:
http://lists.etherlab.org/pipermail/etherlab-users/2011/001463.html

The above patch uses udev to find and load the file.  My distro hasn't
got udev, so I made a modification to be able to load the file direct:
http://lists.etherlab.org/pipermail/etherlab-users/2011/001464.html

The above patches match the file name based on vendor_id and
product_code.  To do this it downloads the first 16 words of the SII, so
at least this much must be correct.

Since then I have made another modification so that it will first look
up a file based on vendor_id, product_code and revision_number.  If
there is no match, then it will try vendor_id and product_code.  (I have
attached the patch.)

Hope this helps,
Graeme.