[etherlab-users] Etherlab compatibility with specific kernel versions

Jürgen Kunz kunz at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Apr 21 08:13:49 CEST 2013

Hi Ankit,

what are the real time requirements of your application? You may try the
RT-Preempt kernel and have a look if it fulfil the real time
requirements. It is much easier to develop real time software with it,
as with Xenomai or RTAI. We use the 3.2er Debian RT-Preempt Kernel from
the Debian repository in Ubuntu 12.04 to control a 4 to 6 DoF robot arm
with joint elasticity in combination with Orocos to build up the real
time control and ROS for network communication between different parts
of our software, and it works well.

Regards,
Jürgen

Am 21.04.2013 00:10, schrieb Ankit Goila:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on setting up a real time control framework on my machine
> with Ubuntu 12.10 installed (Linux 3.5.0-17-generic). I have tried
> using the RTAI package but I have had a series of failures while
> trying to get that to work (it expects a Linux kernel of 2.6.35.9).
>
> I am planning to use Xenomai to set up my real time kernel and then
> install etherlab. With the same requirements of etherlab for linux
> kernel, what should I do to make this installation hassle free? Should
> I install an older version of Ubuntu and configure it with a similar
> Xenomai kernel OR would a 3.5.7 xenomai kernel work with etherlab
> installations?
>
> I am confused between these compatibility issues and will be really
> grateful if anyone could help me out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ankit
>
> --
> Ankit Goila
> U-M ID: 83509056
> Graduate Student (2012-2014)
> M.S.E Mechanical Engineering
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
> Contact: 734-747-0829

Dipl.-Inform. Jürgen Kunz

Technische Universität Darmstadt <http://www.tu-darmstadt.de>
FG Simulation, Systemoptimierung und Robotik
<http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de>
Hochschulstr. 10
64289 Darmstadt

Tel.: ++49 (0) 6151-16-70383