[etherlab-users] X Windows Manager & Network Connection?

Ian Norton I.Norton at CranfieldAerospace.com
Mon Feb 4 12:06:22 CET 2013

Hi,

I have a very strange problem.

I'm running V1.5 in user mode. My app clocks the bus at 1KHz with ecrt_domain_queue/ecrt_master_send /ecrt_master_receive/ecrt_domain_process and get my data back with EC_READ's.

Devices on the bus vary, but include Kollmorgen S300, Festo pressure regulators, Beckhof ADC/DAC. I have 7 systems working fine in the field.

So now we've upgraded the Kollmorgen S300's to AKD drives. Fairly straightforward move you might think.

Not so! After an internal initial homing process, the angular positional data returned from the drive would not show any change, even though the attached motor was turning. After a time (variable, and anything from .5 secs to 10 secs), a new value would be returned which is massively different from the previous "static" value, now reflecting the true position of the motor.

My app is an X windows program, and by chance I noticed that if I perfomed a Window manager function, i.e. move a terminal window on top of my app, it kick started new data to be retrieved from the bus!?

The code driving the bus has a heartbeat, which never misses a beat, even when returned data is not changing, so I'm happy the ecrt routines are being called continuously.

I use ecrt_master_state and ecrt_domain_state to look for errors but get none.

So I'm wondering how the master can return the same data to me when it is clearly changing at the device. After all, with no errors, it must think data has been exchanged.

And, why does an X window manager kick a transfer off? How can it be linked to the network?

Anyone had similar issues?

regards

Ian R.K. Norton
System Support Engineer
Aircraft Engineering
Cranfield Aerospace Ltd
Cranfield
Bedford MK43 0AL
UK

Tel  - +44 (0) 1234 754926
Fax - +44 (0) 1234 752375

'All technology information within this Email has been Exported from the United Kingdom under Open General Export Licence (Technology for Military Goods) - BIS Reference: GBOGE2008/00462'

DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged. For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately by telephoning +44(0) 1234 754978 or by immediate reply via e-mail to the Sender.
Should the content of this Email , including any attachments, require an Export Licence, this shall have been registered in compliance with export controls laid down by the UK Export Control Organisation,  which forms part of the UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).
Emails and other electronic communication with Cranfield Aerospace may be monitored.

Thank you.

Cranfield Aerospace Limited Registered in England No. 2415720 Registered Office: Cranfield University, Cranfield, Beds, MK43 0AL

Updated 14-July-2010

Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Rules
http://www.codetwo.com