[etherlab-users] Call control executable as user without admin rights

Matthias Liermann ml14 at aub.edu.lb
Wed Apr 2 14:42:24 CEST 2014

Hello,
We use Etherlab 2.0 for the automation of a hydraulic test rig. We would like to give users without admin rights the permission to execute control programs which have been built with the Simulink coder and the etherlab toolbox. We set the udev rules from the etherlab documentation to allow user permission for the Ethercat device.
KERNEL ==" EtherCAT [0 -9]*" , MODE ="0664" , GROUP =" users "
When calling the executable we get the error message:
mlockall() failed: Cannot allocate memory
Setting SCHED_FIFO with priority 99 failed: Operation not permitted
We can change the capability of the executable with setcap (sudo setcap cap_ipc_lock=ep  ./Test2ndOrderSystem). But this doesn't help because we need administrator rights to change that too.
Thank you, Matthias Liermann

Assistant Professor
American University of Beirut<http://aub.edu.lb/>
Department of Mechanical Engineering<http://www.aub.edu.lb/fea/me/Pages/default.aspx>