[etherlab-users] Intel I210 + RTAI

Patrick BrĂ¼nn P.Bruenn at beckhoff.com
Thu May 21 12:39:19 CEST 2015

Hi Scott,
Have you tried to use the generic EtherLab driver on top of the standard igb driver?

If you need a native EtherLab driver and it's no requirement to use the two igb ports for your EtherCAT connection, I would suggest to use the Bus terminal interface on the right side of the CX50xx.
That interface is controlled by the CCAT. And there are two drivers available for that FPGA:

1.       Darek Marcinkiewicz wrote "ec_bhf" [1], which is part of the official Linux Kernel since 3.15. AFAIK this driver is specialized to be used with SOEM, but I am sure Darek is willing to help to make it run with EtherLab, too.

2.       Beckhoff provides a driver called "ccat" [2]. That driver registers the CCAT as common Ethernet device and offers access to other functions of the FPGA like GPIOs or SRAM.

A mercurial bundle[3] to add a patched version of the driver to EtherLab is available, too.

If that's an option for you and you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. But please note that my response might take until 15th of June, as I am leaving the office for vacation within the next hours. In the meantime Heiko Wilke might help you.

Regards and good luck,
Patrick Bruenn

[1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/ethernet/ec_bhf.c
[2] ftp://ftp.beckhoff.com/Software/embPC-Control/Solution/Linux/CCAT/ccat-0.12.tar.gz
[3] ftp://ftp.beckhoff.com/Software/embPC-Control/Solution/Linux/CCAT/ccat-0.12.hg