[etherlab-users] Intermittent Large number of datagrams UNMATCHED

Graeme Foot Graeme.Foot at touchcut.com
Mon Jul 4 05:19:58 CEST 2016

The only time we've had issues like that has been due to either a dodgy network cable or an RJ45 plug getting a bit grubby.  First thing I usually do is unplug/replug all the plugs a few time to clean up the connections.  If it persists then I start looking for bad cables.

Another option is that there is an occasional noisy process causing noise on one of the links.

Once or twice (only on non-ethercat machines so far) we've had cables that were in drag chains wearing out, where it showed a problem when at a specific position of the drag chain.

You could track down if it's a problem with a link between two particular slaves by checking each slaves Link Lost Counter and CRC Bad Counter values.
- Lost Link Counter Register (0x0310:0x0313)
- RX Error Counter Register (0x0300:0x0307)

This link describes some of the diagnostics:
http://www.automation.com/automation-news/article/diagnostics-with-ethercat-part-4

I think you can set the above registers to zero after the fieldbus is up and running, then you can check them if a problem occurs.

Haven't actually done it yet myself, so would be interested to see if it helps you.

Regards,
Graeme.