[etherlab-users] Intermittent Large number of datagrams UNMATCHED

Ralf Roesch ethercat at cantastic.org
Mon Jul 4 08:29:56 CEST 2016

We also are fighting with this type of problem on a customer laser
cutting machine.
Occasionally we see errors like this:
[122501.934306] EtherCAT 0: Domain 0: Working counter changed to 0/9.
[122501.934346] EtherCAT 0: Domain 1: Working counter changed to 0/9.
[122502.320449] EtherCAT WARNING 0: 5 datagrams TIMED OUT!
[122502.935224] EtherCAT 0: Domain 0: Working counter changed to 9/9.
[122502.935265] EtherCAT 0: Domain 1: Working counter changed to 9/9.

This was the reason I modified the ethercat command line tool for
extended diagnostics regarding several ESC error registers.

Attached you will find a patch which might help you.
After applying and building the ethercat command line tool it will
provide a new command "diag".

  * Shortly after your ethercat master has been started successfully call:
    ethercat diag -r
    This will reset all slaves ESC error registers including Lost Link
    Counter Register and RX Error Counter Register.
  * If you detect a an error UNMATCHED and TIMEOUT (sometimes after
    hours or days) call:
    ethercat diag
    If you are lucky you will find one ore more ESC errors displayed on
    your console.
    For better understanding the displayed errors you should to picture
    picture
    http://www.automation.com/images/article/ethercat/Figure14.jpg
    (part of
    http://www.automation.com/automation-news/article/diagnostics-with-ethercat-part-4).

Would be happy about any kind of feedback.

@Henry: which type of drives do you use?

Regards,
Ralf