[etherlab-users] Regarding SDOs

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Fri Sep 16 01:41:59 CEST 2016

Although if slaves actually have SDOs (ie. support CoE) then they’re required to provide an online CoE dictionary, which “ethercat sdos” will read and display even if the slave does not define any in its SII.  (Although not all vendors obey the rules.)

If the slave doesn’t support CoE then they’re not really SDOs, they’re just potential PDOs, and in that case you’re at the mercy of whether the SII EEPROM information is correct or not as mentioned below.

Slave vendors are required to provide correct information in the SII XML, which TwinCAT can read but Etherlab cannot.  But you can use TwinCAT to reprogram the SII EEPROM from the SII XML, which Etherlab can then read.  It’s usually not necessary to do this unless the vendor has left the EEPROM in a really bad state, as SDO information is usually only needed during interactive experimentation and commissioning, not normal operation, and you can usually get similar or better information from manuals.

You can use the “ethercat slaves -v -p <pos>” command to see information about a slave, including whether it supports CoE or not.