[etherlab-users] Failed to execute SDO download: Protocol not supported

Derrill Vezina vezinadj at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:07:13 CEST 2018

Hi Gavin.

I fully understand that this is a Beckhoff / integration issue and not anything to do with the master. I have been doing as you instructed and it has worked with different revisions with different PDO structures with a bunch of different cards up until this specific situation. Without getting too in depth with it, Beckhoff allowed setting two PDO’s originally including the period and duty cycle of the PWM wave output on the EL2502 for each channel. They decided on REV25+ that they were going to remove the period as a PDO and use it as an SDO. To fix this, Beckhoff has instructed a sequence of setting some startup SDO configuration registers that would set the PDO assignment back to the “old way” in which I have successfully done using the Etherlab tool using the following commands (only one card on the stack after starting the master):

./ethercat download --position 1 --type uint16 0x1C12 0x00 0x00
./ethercat download --position 1 --type uint8 0x1C13 0x00 0x00
./ethercat download --position 1 --type uint16 0x1C12 0x01 0x1602
./ethercat download --position 1 --type uint16 0x1C12 0x02 0x1603
./ethercat download --position 1 --type uint16 0x1C12 0x00 0x02
./ethercat rescan

Everything works great after that sequence.

I guess my confusion lies in the fact that the tool successfully downloads the PDO’s using the ioctl interface without getting a “Protocol not supported” error. Is there a reason why I would get a “Protocol not supported” error using the application interface library to do this (ecrt_master_sdo_download()) but not using the tool? Is the master state the problem?