[etherlab-users] Where, in the application cycle, should I call ecrt_master_64bit_reference_clock_time/queue?

Gavin Lambert gavin.lambert at tomra.com
Thu Oct 25 23:29:03 CEST 2018

ecrt_master_64bit_reference_clock_time_queue must be called at any point prior to calling ecrt_master_send.

ecrt_master_64bit_reference_clock_time must be called following some previous calls to ecrt_master_64bit_reference_clock_time_queue, ecrt_master_send, and ecrt_master_recv (in that order), and before calling ecrt_master_64bit_reference_clock_time_queue a second time.  (It doesn’t have to be on the immediately subsequent cycle, but that usually makes the most sense.)  Interleaved calls to other functions are irrelevant (apart from closing the master, of course).

This should be fairly obvious, if you think about it.  (And it’s documented.)

As for how often to call them, that’s entirely up to how often you want the answer, either for internal diagnostics or to look at the datagram in the network trace.  It is purely informational and does not affect slave clock synchronisation.  If you’re not interested in the answer, then you don’t need to call it at all.