[Etherlab-users] What Hardware

Sebastien BLANCHET blanchet at iram.fr
Tue Feb 16 12:59:03 CET 2021

Hi,

1/
IgH EtherCAT master supports any EtherCAT vendors because all EtherCAT
devices follow a very precise standard imposed by the EtherCAT
Technology Group.

In practice (most) Beckhoff ELxxxx I/O modules are easy to use because
they are designed to support only EtherCAT.

If you buy I/O modules which are compatible with several fieldbuses (for
example Beckhoff BKxxx series or WAGO 750 series which support CANopen,
Modbus, EtherCAT, etc) you have to configure them with SDO start-up list
before be able to use the PDO.
https://www.beckhoff.com/en-us/products/i-o/bus-terminals/bkxxxx-bus-coupler/

Example with Kollmorgen AKD (it is not a basic I/O module but it shows
the TxPDO and RxPDO setup)
https://www.iram.fr/~blanchet/ethercat/akd/examples/

If you use TwinCAT, then it it not a real problem because you can just
click in the GUI to setup the SDO startup lists, but if you use IgH
EtherCAT master, you have to write your own C code to define these SDO
startup lists.

List of Beckhoff couplers that I have tested
- EK1100
- EK1501-0010

To convert copper to fiber I use
- EK1521-0010
- EK1122

All these couplers work very well. They are plug-and-play, nothing to
configure. You just need to use "ethercat alias" command to setup the
wanted address on the EtherCAT bus.