[Etherlab-users] motion control

Sebastien BLANCHET blanchet at iram.fr
Tue Sep 7 11:29:38 CEST 2021

Hi Christian,

 > One more question: are standard commands for typical slaves defined
 > whithin EtherCAT? In my case the slaves are servo motor drives. Are
 > there standard commands, e.g. for positioning, setting
 > speed/acceleration or is this vendor specific?

According to the datasheet, your KEB COMIVERT S6K servo drive follows
the CiA 402 standard, so yes, there are standard commands for motion.
https://www.keb.co.uk/drive-technology/servo-drives/servodrive-combivert-s6

Nevertheless, if you start from scratch, the learning curve is pretty
steep, so you may be interested by these examples:
https://www.iram.fr/~blanchet/ethercat/akd/examples/

Of course, the examples are designed for Kollmorgen AKD servodrive. But
they use only variables from the CiA DS402 standard, so I guess that
they should work also with your servo drive, with a minimum of modification.
I think that you only have to modify the EtherCAT address, Vendor ID and
Product ID (macro AkdSlavePos and Kollmorgen_AKD)

Sebastien BLANCHET