[etherlab-dev] EtherCAT-Master on recent kernels

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Wed Apr 1 18:07:51 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:06:25AM -0700, Stefan Agner wrote:
> #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 27)
>     master->class_device = device_create(class, NULL,
>             MKDEV(MAJOR(device_number), master->index), NULL,
>             "EtherCAT%u", master->index);

this change was already part of the 1680 changes, as you will notice,
it should merge fine.

> I also added e100 support for 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 (I attached the files).

Thanks a lot, I will include them.

> I noticed a crash when I unload ethercat master's kernelmodule:
> # /etc/init.d/ethercat start
> .... wait a while
> # /etc/init.d/ethercat stop
> # dmesg > dmesg_beforcrash && sync
> .... wait another second, and the system freezes, completly...
>
> Any idea? Dmesg looks like everything went fine... I also let the
> module run for several hours, without a problem, its only on
> unloading.. Did I made a mistake in my driver?

Probably... ;-)

I know this from patching new drivers by myself. Try to search from
illegal kfree() in the exit code. My experience is, that they are the #1
reason for freezes.

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org