[etherlab-dev] EtherCAT-Master on recent kernels

Stefan Agner stefan.agner at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 17:04:31 CEST 2009

> > I noticed a crash when I unload ethercat master's kernelmodule:
> > # /etc/init.d/ethercat start
> > .... wait a while
> > # /etc/init.d/ethercat stop
> > # dmesg > dmesg_beforcrash && sync
> > .... wait another second, and the system freezes, completly...
> >
> > Any idea? Dmesg looks like everything went fine... I also let the
> > module run for several hours, without a problem, its only on
> > unloading.. Did I made a mistake in my driver?
>
> Probably... ;-)
>
> I know this from patching new drivers by myself. Try to search from
> illegal kfree() in the exit code. My experience is, that they are the #1
> reason for freezes.
I changed the init script and disabled restoring of modules (this way the original e100 module isnt inserted after ec_e100 is removed...). That way I the computer doesnt crash, I can also reinsert ec_e100, use it and remove it again... But as soon as I insert the original e100 driver, the system crashs... It seems that the ec_e100 driver leaves the device in an unknown state.... Any idea?

Bye
Stefan