[etherlab-dev] Support for multiple mailbox protocols

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Wed Jun 25 02:01:40 CEST 2014

Hi Knud,

I haven't reviewed or tested the whole patch yet, but I like the idea in
concept.  One thing that made me pause though is the way that the check_mbox
flag is handled.  You have it protected by a semaphore (implying you're
expecting it to get used concurrently), but you have non-atomic
test-and-then-set actions which will mean that if concurrent access is
attempted multiple users might call prepare_check and check_mbox_set
(causing some of them to be "lost", which may or may not be a problem), and
then on failure one might call check_mbox_clear while another is still
waiting for a check to occur (which seems like it would be a problem).

Again, I haven't followed the logic all the way through yet so possibly this
isn't a real problem, but it bothers me. J

If the intent is to have only one concurrent state machine trigger a check
datagram at a time (which it seems like it is), then you should probably be
using an atomic test-and-set operation instead.

Additionally it doesn't look like you have any protection against concurrent
CoE access (which TBH I'm not entirely sure whether this occurs, but Frank's
patch 27 suggests it does), and I'm definitely not a fan of
allocating/deallocating memory on each mailbox transfer, which is what it
looks like you're doing.

Regards,

Gavin Lambert