[etherlab-dev] License issue

Frank Heckenbach f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de
Wed Mar 11 17:29:17 CET 2015

I noticed the following situation:

lib/* is released under the LGPL, but some of its files include, via
"ioctl.h", "master/ioctl.h" and in turn "master/globals.h" and
"globals.h", which are released under the GPL.

I'm not a lawyer, but in my understanding that would place the whole
library under the stricter GPL.

Is this intentional?

If not, you might want to change the licence of the above-mentioned
files to the LGPL.

If you decide to do this, could you please also do this for the
1.5.0 version of those files? As you might know, my userspace port
is based on this version, and that's unlikely to change, so
otherwise my port would fall under the GPL completely.

It is not an issue for me personally, since I use the GPL for my
application (and don't use lib anyway), but I try to keep the port
as close as possible to the original, including the licensing which
was apparently intended to be LGPL for lib.

Regards,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Math. Frank Heckenbach <f.heckenbach at fh-soft.de>
Stubenlohstr. 6, 91052 Erlangen, Germany, +49-9131-21359