[etherlab-dev] Possible Realtime Issues with Ethercat Master and RT Preempt Kernel

Dr.-Ing. Matthias Schöpfer schoepfer at robolab.de
Tue Jan 26 14:22:16 CET 2016

Hi!

We started using etherlab/ethercat and are quite impressed. Nice work!

We are running Linux with a RT_PREEMPT Kernel and e1000e ethercat
driver. We have to run at a cycle time of 1ms and we have jitter from
clock_nanosleep of about 15 microsecs max.

Nevertheless, we suffer from time to time from these:

EtherCAT WARNING 0: 2 datagrams UNMATCHED!
EtherCAT 0: Domain 0: Working counter changed to 9/9.
EtherCAT 0: Domain 0: Working counter changed to 0/9.

Especially, when we apply load to the system. From previous projects, I
experienced these effects when IRQ/Kernel Thread was not set to
appropriate RT Level.

My Question: has anybody experienced similar problems, and would it be
worth to investigate it. And if I decide to patch the kernel module,
where is a good starting point.

Thanks and regards,

	Matthias Schöpfer

--
Dr. Matthias Schöpfer
mz robolab GmbH

Office: +49 2226 83600 00
Fax: +49 2226 83600 11
Email: schoepfer at robolab.de

mz robolab GmbH
Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Dr. Rüdiger Maaß, Ralf Schulte
Registergericht Amtsgericht Bonn
Registernummer HRB 10595
---
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
---
P    please consider the environment before printing this e-mail