[etherlab-users] Yaskawa Sigma-5 no Vendor ID or Product Code

Florian Pose fp at igh-essen.com
Mon Jul 12 18:14:27 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:56:12AM -0700, Henry Bausley wrote:
> I am attempting to use a Yaskawa (SGDV-R90FE1A) Sigma-5 amplifier motor
> combination. It appears as if there is no EEPROM which seems strange to
> me.  I generated a binary file and attempted to write it into the EEPROM
> with the ethercat sii_write -p 8 -f Yaskawa.bin command but afterwards
> there still no Vendor ID or Product code.  The ethercat -p 8 -v sii_read
> command returns nothing.
>
> The Yaskawa app engineer told me that they have had problems with
> masters that need information from the EEPROM and he would have to
> convince the engineers in Japan to change this.
>
> My question are.
>
> 1.) Is it possible for a device to not have EEPROM data and be ethercat
> spec compliant?

definitely not. The specification tells explicitly which parts of the
SII are mandatory.

> 2.) I was also told that this device has passed the Ethercat Conformance
> test.  Is this possible without anything in the EEPROM?

No it isn't! The conformance test tool output lots of warnings an errors
if the SII is not working. For example the SII is the only method to get
the vendor ID and product code of a connected slave.

> 3.) Has anyone used this drive with the etherlab master? I suspect no
> one has.

I neither. It should be hard with other masters too.

Florian Pose

http://etherlab.org