[etherlab-users] Lack of Understanding: PDO Configuration

Richard Hacker ha at igh-essen.com
Thu Feb 10 22:30:42 CET 2011

On Thursday 10 February 2011 18:02:32 Viktor Rees wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Question: When is PDO configuration necessary?
>
> In the mini.c examples for each slave the function ecrt_slave_config_pdos()
> is called. I am not sure in which cases this is really needed.
>
> Using  'ethercat cstruct' all the necessary information is displayed. So
>  the slaves themselves know their PDO configuration already. Therefore i
>  suppose that PDO configuration is not needed in most cases. Is that right?
>
> For my understanding, can you please tell when an explicit configuration is
> needed?
You are quite right in assuming that the master should scan the PDO
configuration itself (which it does anyway). There are however 2 cases I can
think of when it is necessary:
1) to allow for the case where the application can be started without any
slaves being attached.
2) to make sure that the bus configuration is exactly how the application
expects it to be.

The function 'ethercat cstruct' is simply a convenience tool that generates
bug free code exactly the way the bus is configured at the time of execution.
You can include this in your code instead of having to punch it in manually
(with bugs ;) )

- Richard

> Thanks
>
> Viktor

Richard Hacker                               Amtsgericht Essen HRB 11500
Ingenieurgemeinschaft IgH                    USt-Id.-Nr.: DE 174 626 722
Ges. für Ingenieurleistungen mbH             Geschäftsführung:
Heinz-Baecker-Str. 34                        Dr.-Ing. S. Rotthäuser
D-45356 Essen                                Dr.-Ing. T. Finke
Tel.: +49 201 / 36014-16                     Dr.-Ing. W. Hagemeister
Fax.: +49 201 / 36014-14                     Tel.: +49 201 / 360-14-0
richard.hacker at igh-essen.com                 http://www.igh-essen.com