[etherlab-users] install on non-PC

babbittner at aol.com babbittner at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 16:37:24 CET 2011

Here's how I recently cross built on x86 Ubuntu 10.04LTS for an ARM system with kernel sources and toolchain provided my the chip vendor:

On host:

TARG_KERNEL is path to kernel sources for target system
TARG_FS is path to filesystem of target system

In Etherlab source dir:

./configure --prefix=$TARG_FS/opt --with-linux-dir=$TARG_KERNEL \
            --enable-generic --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-  # ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE redundant here?

# I may have run make install as root here?

On target as su (I haven't automated these steps yet):

mknod /dev/EtherCAT0 c 252 0

vi /etc/sysconfig/ethercat to include generic driver and set MAC addr

cd /lib/modules/<kernel_being_run>

Thanks,
Bruno