[etherlab-users] install on non-PC

Henry Bausley hbausley at deltatau.com
Wed Nov 2 15:46:47 CET 2011

The short answer to your question is yes.  You should look at your PC
version and familiarize with the installation.

For example

 /lib/modules/2.6.xx.x

The tool ethercat goes in /usr/bin

The configuration usually goes to /opt/etherlab

Once you study the PC installation it will be no big deal to put it on
your custom board.

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 13:09 -0600, Jeff Krasky wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m looking for comments about installing EtherCAT on a proprietary
> board that has its own, non-x86, processor on it.  Linux is currently
> installed and running on this board.  Here is what I am trying to work
> out:
>

> 1) Currently there is no compiler on the board.  There is a program on
> another machine here that does the building of executable code for
> Linux and this processor.  So I build code on that machine, then I
> transfer it to the board via a secure copy program.
>

> 2) I don’t think I can build EtherCAT this way.  The build machine is
> Windows to begin with, and even if I managed to compile everything,
> the default scripts wouldn’t work – they’d want to install on the
> machine they are running on, the paths wouldn’t be correct, etc.
>

> 3) EtherCAT has been installed on a different Linux x86 machine here
> and a sample program appears to be running fine.  So is it possible I
> can just compile a bunch of source modules separately and then
> transfer them to the Linux board and run them?  Basically, can I just
> build each compiled component on its own and then put it in the proper
> place on the Linux board?  Or will I have to modify install scripts
> and such?
>

> Thanks for any feedback,
>

> Jeff

Outbound scan for Spam or Virus by Barracuda at Delta Tau