[etherlab-users] How can I reduce latency of cyclic task with etherlab master?

Donggu Kang cdslashboot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 06:48:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm newbe in ethercat and real-time world.

I installed etherlab master(1.5-stable) with xenomai environment on my
linux box.
And I tried to latency test of real-time task with etherlab master API.
I also did it without a ehterlab master API.
A stress is "while true;do ls -lR / > /tmp/list; done & > /dev/null"
shell script;
It's called repeatedly by bash shell script and making hard disk load.

When I use etherlab API, the latest latency of cyclic task is above a 500us.
But when I don't use etherlab API, latency is about "70us".

According test result, etherlab API or EtherCAT-capable network device
is interrupted by hard disk access on my system.
I think hard disk access is making a huge latency.
And other devices also also become a source of latency on my system.

If anyone has any advice could you please leave your comment?

Best regards.

Donggu Kang.