[etherlab-users] EtherCAT master license

Shahbaz Yousefi shabbyx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:07:05 CET 2012

This is mainly towards Florian Pose I think, but here goes.

The EtherCAT master is released under GNU GPLv2, copyrighted from 2006-2008
to Florian Pose. Since GNU GPLv3 is not compatible with GNU
GPLv2<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility>,
the functions provided by the EtherCAT master (such as
ecrt_master_send/receive) cannot be used in a program released under GNU
GPLv3.

I am not sure if the software is still copyrighted to Florian Pose and the
source files are just outdated or what, but *could I please ask you Florian
to release the subsequent versions of the EtherCAT master, under "GNU GPLv2
or later" instead of just "GNU GPLv2"*?

Also, I noticed the GNU LGPLv3 is attached to the master (COPYING.LESSER),
while inside the source files as well as the README file, it is indicated
that the program is released under GNU GPLv2. Again, are the license notes
on the source files outdated?