[etherlab-users] FW: Distributed Clock with Yaskawa SGDV drives

Graeme Foot GraemeF at touchcut.com
Thu Mar 8 22:24:46 CET 2012

(forgot to replyall)

-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Foot
Sent: Friday, 9 March 2012 10:23
To: 'Florian Pose'
Subject: RE: [etherlab-users] Distributed Clock with Yaskawa SGDV drives

Hi,

Its effectively due to a race condition between calling
ecrt_master_activate() and the realtime cycle starting.  The slaves can
get to OP mode before the the hard rt cycle has started.  I'm using RTAI
in user space so I can't call ecrt_master_activate() once the thread has
been set to hard realtime (and it blocks for approx 2-3ms which is
longer than my cycle period).

So to avoid the race condition, I just call ecrt_master_activate() (in a
parallel non-hard rt thread) as soon as the hard rt thread is up and
cycling.  I have found it is better to start cycling too soon rather
than too late.

Graeme.