[etherlab-users] Changing alias of slave (in the kernel)

Shahbaz Youssefi shabbyx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:23:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

To programmatically change the alias of a slave, I have been looking
through the documentation + code of the EtherCAT master to find the proper
way to do so with no luck.

I have found the EC_IOCTL_SLAVE_SII_WRITE as used by CommandAlias.cpp of
the tool that serves this purpose (and even so in an awkward way by
manipulation the raw SII data, even computing checksum), but this is in
user-space.

In the functions exported to the kernel on the other hand I haven't seen
any function that would manipulate alias, or otherwise let me write SII to
a slave. Looking at ec_cdev_ioctl_slave_sii_write of cdev.c doesn't help
either as it uses structures and functions internal to the master.

Oddly enough, in master version 1.0, there had been an
ecrt_slave_write_alias function that used ec_slave_sii_write16:

http://www.etherlab.org/download/ethercat/ethercat-stable-1.0-r492-htmldoc/group__RealtimeInterface.html#g4816d6fd09707c834c5cf9be0bea384c

Does this functionality still exist in master version 1.5 in some other
form? Is there any means to change the slave alias other than
EC_IOCTL_SLAVE_SII_WRITE (not using the provided tool, of course)?

Thank you,
Shahbaz