[etherlab-users] Changing alias of slave (in the kernel)

Richard Hacker ha at igh-essen.com
Fri Oct 5 15:26:39 CEST 2012

On Thursday 04 October 2012 17:23:22 Shahbaz Youssefi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To programmatically change the alias of a slave, I have been looking
> through the documentation + code of the EtherCAT master to find the proper
> way to do so with no luck.
No, this is not supported. Only the user space _ethercat_ command can do this.

You have a chicken and egg problem if you would like to do this from kernel
space: When the master takes the network into operational state, it requires
the alias. So there is no sense in setting the alias while in operational
state.

If you --really-- want to do it, check the code of the _ethercat_ command.

Richard Hacker

Richard Hacker M.Sc.
richard.hacker at igh-essen.com
Tel.: +49 201 / 36014-16

Ingenieurgemeinschaft IgH
Gesellschaft für Ingenieurleistungen mbH
Heinz-Bäcker-Str. 34
D-45356 Essen

Amtsgericht Essen HRB 11500
USt-Id.-Nr.: DE 174 626 722