[etherlab-users] Etherlab 2.0 installation results

Jürgen Kunz kunz at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 12 11:08:32 CET 2013

I suggest you to use the "stable-1.5" branch instead of "tip".
At moment there are only 5 EtherCAT-capable drivers, e1000e, e100,
e1000, r8169 and 8139too. You can use any other network driver included
in linux kernel, if you use the "generic" network module, but then you
need to disallow network manager to "auto" handle the connection that is
used with EtherCAT, as this might causing problems and interuption of
EtherCAT communication. The generic module uses the linux kernel network
stack.
So if you have an Intel-card, its better to use this with EtherCAT,
better performance, less problems.

There is no auto driver detection implemented in the configuration
script. The 8139too driver is enabled by default. There is at moment no
driver for the 3.5er kernel for any network-card. You can force to use
the driver from a different kernel version, that might work. Or you use
the "generic" driver, but with less performance.

In your situation, this cmd-line might work:
./configure --disable-8139too --enable-generic

If you want also to compile the e1000e driver from a different kernel,
following cmd might work:
./configure --disable-8139too --enable-generic --enable-e1000e
--with-e1000e-kernel=3.4

To see what options you have, run
./configure --help

After that you can build ec-master and modules:
make && make modules
sudo make install modules_install
sudo depmod

After installing the master, you need to edit /etc/sysconfig/ethercat to
select which card yould be used and what driver(s) should be loaded.

I use the ethercat master with Debian 7.0 (Wheezy) and Ubuntu 12.04 both
with 3.2er RT-kernel from Debian Wheezy repository. You need to have a
look, if the ethercat network drivers work with your kernel, as it
happened to me that the 3.2er Ubuntu kernel (generic, lowlatency, rt)
freezed directly after loading the ethercat drivers.

Regards,
Jürgen

Am 12.02.2013 09:33, schrieb V.I.Sluiter at utwente.nl:
> Thanks Juergen,
> I completely forgot / looked over installling the ethercat master, I erroneously thought it was included in the terminal commands in the manual.
> Of course I immediately downloaded the sources (mercurial, hg clone http://etherlabmaster.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/etherlabmaster/etherlabmaster, then hg update tip).
> After installing automake and related tools I was able to generate the .configure file, but configuring gives me the following error:
>
> <snip>
> checking for Linux kernel sources... /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic (Kernel 3.5)
> checking for Linux modules installation directory... ethercat
> checking for kernel for 8139too driver... configure: error: kernel 3.5 not available for 8139too driver!
> victor at victor-realtime ~/sources/etherlabmaster $
> </snip>
>
> I don't know why the 8139too driver is needed, I'm using a 3COM (running with 3c59x module according to lsmod) and an Intel-card in my PC. I do have an onboard Ethernet port, but that's switched off in the BIOS and doesn't show up when running lspci. As far as I can tell the 8139too driver is deprecated in all 3.x kernel versions. Does the etherlab master support a kernel > 2.6?
> Can anyone suggest me how to continue? On which distribution are you installing your EtherLAB system? I used the latest Linux Mint LXDE because that's what I work with at home; apparently kernel 3.5 is too new or something is wrong with the detection of network cards?
>
> Greetings,
> Victor

Dipl.-Inform. Jürgen Kunz

Technische Universität Darmstadt <http://www.tu-darmstadt.de>
FG Simulation, Systemoptimierung und Robotik
<http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de>
Hochschulstr. 10
64289 Darmstadt

Tel.: ++49 (0) 6151-16-70383